Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Some Memories of Gaye

I'm not sure how long these posts are to be, but I thought I'd share some of my favorite memories and reflections of Gaye.

I was finishing my first semester as a Student Athletic Trainer when I first met her in the Fall of 2004.  My clinical assignment for my 2nd Semester was to be with Women's Volleyball in their off-season and being determined to reduce the awkwardness of the transition that would span Christmas break, I introduced myself to her during a spontaneous meeting in the main training room.  She simply responded, "Oh...I know who you are," looking me in the eye and briefly shaking my hand before heading out the door to practice.  That was the thing about Gaye - she KNEW who you were, almost like she knew everything before you even knew her.  I hope she did, because the first week of my 2nd clinical assignment, I had a few hours with her before she was out the door again with the Women's Gymnastics team to an invitational in Mexico, leaving me partially in-charge of a team I hadn't even met yet.  I still have the note she left in my box that says "If you any need help, just ask Chris, Blaine or Carolyn." (haha, thanks, Gaye.)

Gaye was not a woman of many words if she didn't know you well, but that was the beauty about her - she didn't have to be.  She spoke solely with meaning in lengths that were sufficient, and often said more with her looks than she did with her words.  There was the "Good job" look; the "Are you sure that's a good idea?" look; the "...really?" look; and the "Pleasantly amused" look to name a few.  Deciphering those Gaye-looks as a young SAT took some time and my 1st semester SAT companion, Lindsay Woodbury, and I got a crash course in this during the first 3-4 weeks of our assignment to W's Volleyball.  At the time, Gaye had a lot on her plate - taking over the Head AT position from George Curtis, the sudden passing of a BYU team physician who was with them on the trip to Mexico, and stress from pushing state legistlation to approve Athletic Trainer licensure.  Lindsay and I went about our business with volleyball practice, doing our best to keep low profiles and not screw up.  After one day especially we exchanged confused looks because we weren't sure if we had angered her in some way, but at the end of practice Gaye gave us the signal that everything was actually okay between her and us - she punched me in the shoulder followed by that little smirk she had.  In that instant, Lindsay and I formed our bond with Gaye and began to see her true nature (and what a softie she really was). 

The years that followed were laced with some of my favorite moments from being in the Athletic Training program and I secretly adopted Gaye, as I think many of us did.  While I'm sorry to say my experiences with her were not as abundant as compared to others, I was able to learn much simply by observing her in the subsequent semesters I spent in the program.  With as many years as she had in the profession under her belt, she was not above filling water bottles.  She had an open door policy and anyone of her athletes or students could come to her, she'd shut the door and it would just be them.   She put in as many hours as was necessary to do her job correctly and completely, even down to the most mundane things, and often didn't leave the training room until late.  She was professional, but she had some hilarious quirks.  She was a master taper. (One of my proudest moments was when one volleyball player who was particular about her ankle taping said that the ankle taping I gave her was Gaye-quality).   Above all else, she was humble, unassuming, amazing sense of humor, and had one of the biggest hearts I've ever come across. I guess this is why I miss her so much, even now... she knew how to love, and it translated into her work as a health care provider, a teacher, a mentor, a daughter and servant of God, and a friend.
 
Much love, Gaye - I miss you sneaking up on me to sucker punch me.  Save a space for us over there!

Kate Watkins, DPT, ATC/L
BYU SAT 2004-2007

No comments:

Post a Comment