Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My trainer, my second mom, my friend

I, like many, was an athlete at BYU and came in intimidated by Gaye. However, Gaye and I became buddies fast. I think by the time I ended up leaving BYU 5 years later, I spent more time with Gaye and the training room then I did with my coaches and in the gym. My first year as a gymnast Gaye was my trainer. She would fix my owies, treat my aches, tape like a pro, and always made sure I was getting my rehab done.
But my second year Gaye became my second mom and it's a good thing because I really needed her and she knew that. For some reason when I came to college I started to get injured. I think it was to make up for me walking away from club injury free except for a few bruises and sprains. And I couldn't have been any luckier to have Gaye by my side. She was there for my first surgery, cortisone shots, reactions to cortisone shots, difficult decisions, being forced to retire early, tough times in school, two more surgeries, graduation, a new job, sad times, fun times, and even play time. She was my second mom; she was there every second I needed her. There were many times I would come into the training room and we would go into her office and just talk. I liked talking with her, she listened, she laughed and it was so fun to listen to her when decided she to take some of the spot light off of me. Gaye cared!
I'm Catholic and during my second year I did not have a car. It was during Ash Wednesday and I really wanted to go to church and was trying to figure out how I was going to accomplish that. Gaye pulled me aside and without hesitation offered me to barrow her car....yes, that's right, her z340. I just looked at her, speechless. I didn't even know how to answer her. But before I could say yes she pulled me back down to reality by realizing that she had to take it in to get worked on so it was the trainer truck for me. I was so close to riding that amazing car down University Parkway; I think she just might have offered that just to get my hopes up. I don't think she wanted anyone else to beat her speed ;) That was Gaye, always thinking of others first. Faith was important to her and she knew how important it was to me, it didn't matter what the beliefs were. We always had a great time talking religion and sharing ideas and beliefs.
When I graduated BYU and moved away Gaye and I still talked, still texted. I would visit in the summers and we would always do lunch and catch up. And of course like she always did, she would bring me in the training room and fix my owies or just say I was a lost cause :) She always took care of me. I have learned so much from her and to be honest, I'm still learning from her and I will always continue to learn from her. I have always looked up to Gaye, she has always been my hero. There wasn't a month that would go by that I couldn't talk to Gaye. If we couldn't talk we texted; I always had to know how she was doing and she with me. We had become great friends. Her relationship with me as a second mom had turned into an amazing friendship. I will always continue to cherish that.
What hurts the most is we won't be able to go on our vacation that we talked about and that she won't be able to attend my wedding in August which I was so looking forward to her being there. I needed her there and I knew she wanted to be there. I'm so happy that she got to meet the man of my life. Having her tell me that I met someone that was so perfect for me and so right for me, meant the world to me. And I know that when August roles around she will be there in spirit; she will be there for all the vacations in the future. She will be there and that is all I need to know. Just like any mom and just like any friend you want them there and I know she always will be.
Gaye, thank you, I miss you, and I love you. Enjoy all the diet cokes you can drink, the candy and chocolate you can eat, and the show that's going on below you. One day, many years from now I will look forward to our talks. Until then, take care, watch over us, and know you are an angel!

Love ya,
Muscles

No comments:

Post a Comment