Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I got to room with Gaye when she was the swimming and diving trainer. She never complained about the demand of the job. I'm sure she gave over 100 rubdowns through the course of the conference meets. She would collapse on her bed with the t.v. on, only to be interrupted by an athlete needing medical assistance. On our visit the Wed. before she passed away, I said, "I had a swimmer ask me how many swim meets I have been to in my life and of course I didn't know." I then asked, "Gaye, how many trips have you been on?" Shauna responded with, "It would be easier to count how many days she has been home." Gaye you have left a huge hole to fill, but we know you are home. I thank you for your stalwart example, I will miss taking recruits into the training room and saying, "There is Gaye Merrill the best trainer in the U.S., she has toured with the U.S. National Swim and Dive team." All my love to you and your family,

Shari Skabelund

No comments:

Post a Comment