Friday, June 11, 2010

Laney Nelson

Gaye Merrill and Jim Beam Whiskey

This story is the first time I personally witnessed Gaye Merrill using Jim Beam Whiskey.
We invited Gaye on our family vacation to Havasupi Falls in the south rim of the Grand Canyon. This was a week long trip and she was hesitant to come because she felt like she was interrupting, but she was my sister and it just felt right to have her come along. She prepared with my family to back pack in and then hike around for the week and then back pack out. She spent a wonderful week down in the canyon sunbathing, swimming and hiking. Once day we hiked from the Main falls to Beaver falls which is about 8 miles down into the canyon to swim and take in the beauty of the desert.

On the way back Gaye was walking though the tall grass when she stubbed her toe. She didn’t say much when it happened other than she chipped her toe nail. When we got back to camp and upon further investigation she had ripped the majority of her toe nail off her great toe. Havasupi Falls is 13 miles from the trail head and 3 miles from the village which has very limited health care provisions. So after discussion she ask me to remove her toe nail. So Gay took a stick and wrapped it in cloth, placed it in her mouth and bit down, then we said a prayer together and I took her toe nail off with my Leatherman tool. The root of the nail bed was difficult to remove so I have to use the knife edge to debris tissue up under the root bed to remove the nail. Talk about spikes being driven under your nails. The great toe bled and during this whole event, Gaye did not look up, or make a sound. She held her foot still and I did not so much as whimper. When we were done the bite marks in the stick were ¼ deep and she had a slight tear in her eye. Her only comment was, that should make it in my journal. If it did not make it in her journal, it certainly did mine. She new what had to be done, she never made excesses, she just got it done. This incident could of impacted our whole family vacation, instead she just took care of business like she always has done. Selfless sacrifice for the good of us all…….

Now you are asking me about the whiskey? We had no antiseptic so we borrowed a flask of Jim Bream Whiskey from the camp next door and poured it on her big toe. We then wrapped the toe and she finished out the rest of the week without a complaint or missing a subsequent hike or swim. She staggered a little on the leg we had done the surgery on, but after the alcohol wore off she was fine. It was the only time I witness a drunk foot.
Gaye you have always been such an example. You helped me so much when I had cancer. We have truly become bother and sister. My heart aches that I cannot call you and speak to you one more time. I have called your voice mail just to hear your voice. I am grateful to have spoken to you the week before you passed. You sounded so sick but still you did not cry out for help or comfort. Just like always, you tried not to inconvenience anyone. You are truly one of the great females who has mentored and impacted my life. I will always be grateful for our friendship.

I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for his sons sacrifice in my behalf. I know that if I can live half the life you have lived I will again be able to hug you. Save me a spot on the sideline of heaven, I can’t wait to share a cup of Power Aide with you again. I will miss so much, it will not be the same at BYU without you.

Love your brother, Laney

No comments:

Post a Comment